Pagani Huayra - Ádám Kovács / Taurus Model Workshop

Fantastic, supercar from Ádám. Hungarian text available under the english.




Adam Kovács / Hungary


The Pagani Huayra is a mid-engine sports car produced by Italian sports car manufacturer Pagani, succeeding the company's previous offering, the Zonda.

The Huayra uses a 6.0 L twin-turbocharged M158 60° V12 engine developed by Mercedes-AMG specially for the Huayra, which has a power output of 720 hp at 5,800 rpm and 1,000 N⋅m of torque at 2,250-4,500 rpm. The engine has been designed at the request of Pagani to reduce turbo lag and improve response, achieved with smaller turbochargers, a different intercooler configuration and re-programmed ECU settings. The Pagani Huayra is different from its predecessor in that it incorporates active aerodynamics. It is capable of changing the height of the front from the ground and independently operating four flaps placed at the rear and front of the car. The behavior of the flaps is managed by a dedicated control unit that is fed information from systems such as the ABS and ECU, which pass on information about the car's speed, yaw rate, lateral acceleration, steering angle and throttle position. This is intended to achieve minimal drag coefficient or maximum downforce depending on the situation. The rear flaps also act as an airbrake. Under hard braking, both the front suspension and the two rear flaps are raised to counter-act weight transfer to the front wheels and keep the whole car stable, for instance when entering a corner. Air from the radiator is extracted through an arch in the bonnet at an angle that is designed not to affect the streamline around the body. The side air intakes behind the front wheels create a low pressure zone, resulting in downforce.


The very first time I decided to start making models, this was the first kit that I wanted to build, to make it beautiful and perfect. After all, this is my very favourite car.

I would like to emphasize that, because I think that every modeller is trying to make something perfect, or everything perfect for that matter, and that is why it is so hard to find the words for something that I'm so emotionally attached to, because I know that I could do so much better. I'm not a professional builder by any means, but I'm improving, learning and practicing. This is not my best build, but the most challenging to date, and while I'm not satisfied by the results, the very least its completed, and showed me where i have to improve more.

This kit sat in my stash for one and a half year. I was saving it for the time I have the neccesary skills to build it and I was curious where I'm sitting.





The kit is an Aoshima, they are the only ones who made the Huayra, and that should be a good thing. I'm saying this because this kit needs almost perfect fitting and not every manufacturer can provide that. I'm purposefully not naming anyone here. So the fitting was very nice, amazing at some places, but not everywhere. There was one point at the engine, where I remember that i put together like 30 parts, went around, put on another 10, and when I got back to the previous area to connect the two, the next part simply clicked in place. Now the exhaust was a completely different thing. I think that they willfully made the connections on the exhaust to bend, because I couldn't find any other way to put it together, let alone fit properly. Another thing is the body. This kit is famous for it's badly fitting body, especially the rear cowling. I had the same thing, thats one thing I made it with open engine bay. The other I'll get back to in a minute.

After studying the manual a few times, I mostly followed the instructions and orders. With this many parts you can't deviate much, just which block you wan't to complete next. There are four distinct blocks: front frame, rear frame, interior and body. The whole car consists of 273 parts and a few decals.

The frames and engine I used Green Stuff World black primer and AK Extreme Metal colours, like White Aluminium, Gold and Metallic Purple. For the interior I used Ak Grey Primer and Microfiller, AK Cream White and Vallejo Black Grey.

Everything went very smoothly, until I got to the body. I painted the body with Green Stuff World black primer, AK Extreme Metal Metallic Purple, then masked and sprayed AK Extreme Metal White Aluminium. My problems begun when I started clear coating. I used Mr. Color GX100 which I've not used for a long time and not very familiar with it. So apparently I sprayed it too thick and it started to dissolve some of the top colour. I thought to myself, thats ok, I'll clean it up and start over. Which I did, but after cleaning the paint for hours by hand, I soaked the parts in thinner, and it damaged the plastic. So I painted it again, but it is stained and granulous. After that I've seen no point in bothering too much with the polishing, however I did some. This was the second thing that lead me to leave the cowlings open, beacuse the nice interior can inveigle the eyes from the body.

I'd like to point out, that however it cearly has flaws, I loved the kit, loved to work on it, and it has not lessened my enthusiasm on carrying forward. However I will definitely get another one, and keep building it, until I make my mistakes right, and make my favourite car as beautiful as it deserves.